Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Elevator.

I just went downstairs to the cafeteria to get a sandwich and the most peculiar thing happened.

After getting my lunch I was waiting for the elevator with about five other people. As the elevator arrived, another person who needed to go "up" got there. He took position closest to the elevator in front of us. I thought this was kind of rude. I don't know why I felt this way, because on the surface it doesn't seem like that big of deal, but as soon this guy walked up his actions pissed me off.

Although there is never a designated line for an elevator, I always thought standard operating procedure was to stand behind a group of individuals that has clearly been waiting for the elevator longer than you have, so that they might get onto the elevator first. But no, this guy took it upon himself to take first position.

As the doors to the elevator opened and people began filing out, this guy decided to hit the "Up" button.

"Nice move, jackass," I thought to myself. But I only thought this to myself, keep that in mind.

About 37 people got out. As soon as the elevator was empty, the doors began to close. It is not uncommon (in our building, at least), after many people have exited, for the elevator doors to start to close before anyone has a chance to get on. In this situation, it is the responsibility of the person standing closest to stick his arm in so the doors open again.

So what does this guy do? He just stood there and watched the doors close, and our ride left. It was a full nine seconds until another one arrived. Doesn't this guy understand proper elevator ettiquette? I guess not.

"How 'bout you just stand there and watch the doors close, jackass," I said.

That's right, I said. Somehow the thinking and speaking wires in my brain got crossed, and for those 3 seconds, everyone standing near me could read my mind.

It sure was an awkward elevator ride. I don't see how I could be so emotionally affected by this guy's complete lack of knowledge regarding proper elevator courtesy, as well as the nine seconds of my life he caused me to lose, that I spoke my thoughts instead of just thinking them.

How peculiar.

The end.

2 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Wayne Nix said...

You should do that more often. I do. I often get in fights. But only with little wusses who cry.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... Wow I'm surprised that having vocalized your emotions didn't releave your frustation. It always works for me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home