Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Poker is fun.

I played a $6 sit 'n go last night.

I didn't realize when I started that I had to leave to go play football in about 11 minutes.

I got some good hands early and got up to about 2000 chips (started with 800). In an early hand I hit two pairs, but the river brought a possible straight and flush. I guy in early postion threw out a decent size bet, and I concluded that if he really hit something he would have tried for a check raise. I called, he turned over a big pile of Ace high, and proceeded to berate me.

Him: "Fcuking retard, calling with a flush and straight draw on the board."
Me: "I'm sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to fold, next time I will."
Him: "Idiot."
Me: "It's a $6 tournament for chrissakes."

I guess calling with the best hand is the wrong play. Then in the next hand I got 9-7 suited in the big blind, someone min-raised it, the resident pro called, and I had a lot of chips so I called. The flop came 9-high so I bet at it, and the pro went all in with an open-ended straight draw. I called, he missed and I knocked him out. He proceeded to berate me for playing 9-7 off. He actually specified that I played 9-7 off when they were both clubs. Hilarious (To me, anyway, not to you non-poker people who found this blog). I guess cold-calling a raise with 8-7 off is okay. The guy stayed observing the table and kept talking shit. It was awesome. I love when people do that because it makes for a more entertaining game.

But unfortunately, I had to go play football, so I just started going all in, which was fun. I busted AK with K4 when I hit a 4 on the river. I busted AJ with 9-10 when I flopped a 9 and he missed. It was hilarious. I had about 4000 chips when the blinds were 25/50. People started getting pissed at me.

Them: "You're a jerk, not letting people play how you're supposed to play."
Me: "I thought going all-in was how you're supposed to play, like on TV."

I ended up having to leave, so I just left a huge chip stack on the table. I was hoping when I left it would take the chips out of play, but it didn't. I just got blinded off. The next sit 'n go I play I might try the psycho all-in strategy. People get pissed off but it is hilarious watching them get pissed.

As far as the ring games are concerned...

After having a good little run, I had my hourly rate up over $14.50, with 7 hours left to go 2-tabling 2-4. Then the deck decided to butt-rape me last night and now I need to make something like $230 over 4 hours to reach my goal. Oh well. It ended fittingly. I was getting ready to leave and got dealt AA. I just rolled my eyes like I always do with AA. I flopped a set of aces. I lost. Time to go. It was just one of those nights where everyone was hitting their draws and every time I had top pair, top kicker or an overpair someone had bottom set. Twice I had a flush and someone had a higher flush. I took comfort in the fact that people were playing absolute garbage hands and staying with them when the flop missed. One guy cold called a raise and a reraise with K-2, and stayed in on a Q-high flop. No, he didn't have a flush or straight draw. Yes, he won the hand. What would usually be a very profitable situation just didn't work out. That's the way it goes sometimes and you have to accept it. I need to embrace these situations because that's what enables me to be a long term winner. If it never happened, the shitty players would just quit (not that I'm not a shitty player). Like always, I lost more than I should have. I need to learn when bad beats cause me to not think straight, click "Deal me out", get up, drink some water, bang my head against the wall, and sit back down when my head is on straight. Maybe one of these days I'll learn.

My hourly rate is now sitting at about $12/hr, and if I can finish off these last 4 hours and still be at $12, I will be pleased. I don't know if I'm quite ready to move up to 3-6, but I will have more than enough bankroll, so I'm going to do it. If my bankroll hits $1600, I will move back down. I will have to lose more than 300 big bets for that to happen, and in that case, it most likely means I suck and should find another hobby.

Oh yeah, football. Last night I played co-ed touch football with other grown-ups, and I caught a pass and had an interception. I also dropped a pass and a possible interception. We won 27-18. Hooray. Then we went out for pizza. Actually we didn't, but I wanted to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home